Monday, April 21, 2008

Last week was good

... but sometimes I don't see that till I step back.

Last week was busy. What week isn't? I started off the week with a teaching assignment on Monday that I received at 8:25 AM. I had one half hour to shower, dry, and get to the school. It turned out to be a good day -- I enjoyed the kids, Spec Ed even -- but it was draining. I had an evening headache, took tylenol and two cokes about 8 pm -- and didn't get to sleep till 3 am. Not good.

Tuesday I vegged. Really didn't get much accomplished at home. I find that my motivation level is minimal at home with the ongoing mess of the remodeling. The mess frustrates me, but even after I work on it, there still seems to be so much (mess) that I feel like "why try!" I don't think I'm made for this kind of living, ongoing.

Dear Daughter was my re-direction and inspiration, reminding me to rely on God. I was so tizzied, I didn't know how to pray, but I began praying, "God, help me know how to respond!" We have more difficulty with communication than usual at stress times, and it took several efforts, but we bridged that river together! and worked together on ideas the rest of the week.

I taught Wednesday and Friday as well, and had a good time with the kids. Wednesday was pre-school, and those cuties are easy, almost too easy. I like a little more challenge. Friday was middle schoolers, and were they EVER a challenge! I couldn't be mean with them, because I liked them, but I didn't like their high buzz level. (They had finished several days of testing.) We made it through, and I had some fun memories. With one kid I was able to share my story of going to school with a current state university coach, and asked him, "Can you see yourself coaching football someday?" "Uh, YES!" he answered. "This is why you need math!" He understood. Then at supper we encountered one of the boys in the wildest class of the day; I said hi, and he said, "... remember Gabriel's broken leg today?!" Ha! Yes, it was wild. No broken leg, but a faked one. These middle schoolers are all about entertaining, or confusing, one another or the teacher, especially a substitute. I told teachers in the lunch room that I felt like shark bait. But good memories!

Saturday came and went without seeming to accomplish a lot, but Larry and I did resolve a step on our flooring project. Now we are waiting to borrow a saw to cut ceramic ..... Life is all about waiting, isn't it? Waiting on someone else to grow up, or on ourselves to understand (which is actually our own growing up...).

And Sunday was a fun day talking online to grandkids! Ian's bedtime prayer included, "Yeah, Jesus!" because he'd learned "YEAH!" was what people said when they threw down the palm branches -- so why not say it to Jesus again!!! And Luke, when Mama was talking to Ian, kept saying, "... my gamma, my gamma, my gamma, my gamma..." the way kids do when you don't answer them immmediately. We also had a fun half hour playing with friends' little guy who needed a nap while they went to softball practice -- and we played grandparents-babysitting for them for a while. Papa Larry loves these boy toys!

Life is good, but I am sometimes so tired I feel rather than think. I felt frustrated, and wanted that known. I'm sorry. (sad face!) Sleep is really important to me anymore. When I was young, I resented having to stop for it; now I have to give up things I want to get it.

I thank God for my Larry. I frustrate him as much as he frustrates me, or so he says. (smile!) He loves a card I bought him that shows a little girl with her eyes crossed to show her frustration. It says, "Of all the people who frustrate me, I love you the most." But I want my love for him to show, more than frustration.

God, help me see all Your Good in today. And help me LOOK for it!

1 comment:

joy said...

I'm glad you got through it!