Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pray for the teachers

I loved school as a kid... and consequently assumed I'd be a teacher.

When the time came, I was so drained by the downside of life that I didn't have the energy to hang on for a teaching certificate. So I taught one year right out of college in a private school, then stayed home with my kids. I know it was where I was supposed to be. And fortunately, I enjoyed homemaking -- but I've often said, 'NO ONE loves doing anything 24-7.'

Now, with all the girls grown, gone, and married, it was a perfect fit to get back into a classroom. I decided I didn't have the stamina for 2 years in a teacher training program, a year of student teaching, then another year (or more!) waiting for a job opening -- only to teach another 2-4 years. Out of this was born the idea to sub. This has been a great answer for me -- 2-3 days per week -- to know them, encourage them, love them, hopefully motivate them.

Today I read my daughter-teacher's blog about her heavy load in a class with kids that need more than she can give. The world needs more than all of us put together can give! But for a teacher, looking at the kids assigned to her/ him, that's not solace enough. It breaks the heart of a parent to say, "I've done everything I can think of!" and the parent looks for one more chance to direct, or even rescue our kids. Her burden is more than I can imagine.

Whe I sub, I can look at kids and be sad or broken hearted, go home and remember them for months, even years, but I don't have the responsibility of that assigned teacher. I hope ALL of you teachers will bear a burden for your kids, but I hope you will equally lay down your burden at the end of the day, with the One who made the kids, who sees their needs, their longings, their sadness and despair -- who is the only one in the universe who can carry you or them through the tough (and tougher!) times of life.

Today I had a reading time with four kindergartners. One could write no letters but X. Another was determined to be sad because she missed her mom. A third was going to take care of the sad little girl. And the fourth was called (nicknamed) "Guapo" or "Handsome".

"Guapo", named Luigi at birth by his parents, is really a heart-tugger, a handsome little guy. Last December I met him in pre-school, speaking very little English, ready to snuggle up and "read" a book. Guapo will grow up and know how to turn on the charm, because he's doing it already.

One of the greatest blessings in life is the joy of children. But one of the saddest things is children without joy. We are their only hope! Their joy comes from their successes, at school, at home, or with their friends. We can teach them how to play together, how to recognize letters, how to keep trying! We teach them how to find joy in the tough times.

Tomorrow I go back. Today was an exhausting day. The kinders were the easy part. The rough part was the 5th graders who acted like kinders. But I'm needed. We're all needed. To encourage struggling kids, moms and dads who have lost jobs or don't speak English, teachers who are exhausted with what seems an impossible road ahead.

Let's each shore up someone! Send an email, a prayer, a thank-you, a smile -- or just a few minutes of listening. We need each other.

No comments: