Friday, October 23, 2009

The Good Stuff

The house is coming together, as fast as we can realistically do it. I still wish it were all completely done. I'm a short term project person. Sewing, cleaning, financial projects -- about any kind -- I need to be able to complete in either a day, or a few days. Otherwise it's like a grain of sand in my teeth. My steadfast Larry turns projects into art, and I adore them when they are done, but I still thrill more to one job done so the next one can be begun.

Our entryway is gorgeous, and the steps, going both up and down, are a masterpiece! Larry took two days off work during the spring, before the summer spin began, and laid the entry tiles. No one could guess it was his first time to lay tiles -- unless they knew Larry. Whatever project Larry chooses, it will be done to perfection. He spent more time bouncing to hear those steps squeak -- so he could find EXACTLY where the squeaks came from -- than it probably took to do all the work. BUT! the steps DO NOT SQUEAK anymore! What a guy!

My part? I painted, and painted, and painted. I actually like painting, but 6 weeks of it is definitely over-the-top for Linda. I need conversation, so our contractor was my salvation while he was finishing flooring, installing closet organizers, laying baseboard, even hanging doors. I tried not to chatter too much. If at any time you've seen me replying rather quickly to your emails, understand you may have been my only contact during the day. I've learned a lot, even from the plumber, but I'm certainly not ready to do their jobs!

The house now? We are thinning down almost 32 years of "stuff" accumulation. I have passed on clothes, furniture, dishes, books, and fabric that I don't want anymore. There will be much more to go, I'm sure. These days the house holds little appeal for me if no one is there to share it.

Do I like the outcome? Oh, yes, it is wonderful! Do I need it? I think what I need most is order and the freedom to enjoy days at school. I look forward to coming home with stories and time to put up my feet and laugh with Larry at the kids. And Larry loves my stories.

Speaking of stories! I have new lines from the kids in Idaho. The first came when Mom had told company that Luke and Ian had iced the cupcakes for dessert. Company said, "thanks! you guys for making those cupcakes. They were incredible!" (or something on that order). To which Ian, the older cupcake-maker replied, "I'm glad you enjoyed them!" The intended approval was netted, to the point of Mr. 5-yr-old asking later, "Does anyone else want to say thank you for making the cupcakes?" Oh, the honesty of a child! Just show me you love me!

The next line came when both boys received new polar fleece blankets in their favorite character designs. They were elated, and showed their gratitude with multiple thank-yous, continuous sharing of the blankets, and even more blankets covering. Luke, our snuggler, kept asking Mom, "do I get to sleep with my new blanket?" "Yes, you do, Lukie." "Grandma, I REALLY love my blanket." Eventually Mom completed the mom-rounds a woman must make before she can sit down and rest, and then she sat alongside Luke. He'd snuggled with Grandma all evening, joking, pretending, reading books, but he turned to Mom, "Mom, you're my best friend." Aaahhh, all's right with the world when Mom is around.

So a house? It's a warm blessing to live in. At least, I'm thankful it's warm, and it's definitely a blessing as long as it isn't a burden. But would I rather have the house or the warm bodies that cover me till I sweat, just to say "I love you, Grandma"? Do you really need to ask?

Warm bodies, hands down! Love keeps me working when I hear no conversation. Love keeps me listening to feet looking for the squeaks! And love makes those steps perfect for me.

A warm body is the only good stuff. A house can burn, or blow away, or be outdone by someone down the street. A house is cold and empty -- without "the good stuff."

No comments: