Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Little Tempters




I'm visiting grandkids right now -- and their parents too, of course -- but Papa Larry couldn't get away from work. The fruit blossoms with which he works are ready to pop, which means Papa will soon start his minimal 2 week stint of 18 hr days, then another 2 weeks of 12 hr days, slowing to the regular 8 hrs in about 4-5 weeks. No weekend runs at apple blossom time.



We all miss him. The first day I was here, Ian asked me, "Grandma, we've all been hoping you would move closer to us, but you haven't done it. How come?" Oooooh, tough one. How do I answer that and not confuse him with concepts of extended time? My best stab was, " ... well, when God tells us it is the right time, Ian....."



And today Luke spoke up, while we were driving. "I miss Papa Larry. And he misses me when he is at his house, and grandma misses me when she is at her house." No question. A statement. They know we love them. That tugs at my heart (and brings tears to my eyes)even as I write this.



True, God knows when is the right time to be with these little guys and their "Princess Strawberry" (as they have dubbed Libby). God knows how much their loving comments pull at grandparent-hearts -- and might even detract loving grandparents from making hard choices, in favor of grandkids. There is an obvious reason for the saying, "grandparents get to spoil them". Whether we actually spoil them or not, the temptation is SO definitely there.



I TRIED to play the superhero woman! Ian told me I had two swords in my back -- I thought that meant I was stabbed twice. It actually meant I had two sheaths on my back from which I could pull swords to fight. I'm definitely not up on -- or any good at -- this. I contorted and tried to die dramatically, till they told me, no! I could fight! Joy said she got tears from laughing so hard ..... :o)



Libby adores her brothers! She's totally engaged with them, eyes following every move. This sweet little dumpling was filling every inch of her baby seat (only 8 1/2 mos, mind you), so Mama Joy moved her into another car seat. But now she can't see to talk to brothers! Today she talked anyway. She's definitely not one to be overlooked or forgotten. She loves their shows and movies, their antics, the animals they chase. She loves Mama and Grandma's hair -- and earrings! Pulled one of mine off the other day.



Easter will be here soon -- 3 days! Joy painted crosses with them Monday morning. She said they immediately saw the crosses as SWORDS! She's learning to adapt to this "warrior" bent of the male species (erupting constantly in the little guys -- a little more controlled in the big ones). I'm still trying to understand it. For the most part, I step back, swallow, then laugh! :) Anyway, we were driving this morning when Ian saw a church cross and said, "Look Mom! A cross where Jesus died for us!" They are hearing us -- we can't give up just because it's so much work.



It's supposed to be work -- for grandmas and papas, for teachers and daycare workers, for neighbors and church friends. We are working TOGETHER. Yeah, "it takes a village". It takes a family. It takes lots of love.



So while I love my little Tempters, I must not be mastered by them. I'll look for as many ways as I can to love them, and remember Who I love most.



Happy Easter, All!

No comments: