Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Secret of the Rose

I'm re-reading a series of books that I first read sometime in the '90s. They are set in WWII Poland where Larry will be traveling for meetings this summer. I'm disappointed it's not working out for me to go along, but there must be a reason......

My book series is titled "Secret of the Rose", and the secret is referenced often throughout the first volume. As expected, the author takes the reader through vivid accounts of fear, fight and flight of both Jews and Christians who were broken-hearted with the destruction of their beloved country. The principle character is a baron who chose and delighted in the land, farming grain crops, reveling in the forests, and especially in nurturing a "garden of life", central to which was a rose garden.

The secret of the rose is that the fragrance is found in the petals, yet the real secret is in how fragrance is released. I'm coming to realize anew that nothing good comes easy, and even the fragrance of the most beautiful gift can't be realized without feeling the thorns of each life-experience as well as the dropping of the petals. As the author explains, petals die and drop so that new life can emerge.

He also explains that the life doesn't come from the rose itself. Life comes from the dirt, the ugly, unwanted, tromped and unappreciated dirt. No plant grows or survives apart from what the dirt gives in nutrition and as a transport of food and water. Our lives likewise cease to flourish if we pull away from what we often think is just the ugly, unappreciated monotony, yet that is what really keeps us going, physically and spiritually.

I want to be thankful for the sustenance I receive, the physical, spiritual and psychological sustenance. Larry gives me a lot of that, and we've had a great week of quiet in a getaway cabin overlooking a river in Northern WA. It's uplifting to see him sleeping peacefully -- past 5 am! It's also fulfilling to see him enjoy pleasure reading -- though how he can sit still hour after hour amazes me! It's blessing to be able to just blurt thoughts and feelings and have him listen. Uh, yeh, he's a good listener when all the events of work and church aren't filling his mind. But I'm grateful.

My spiritual sustance comes from God. I'm also grateful that God not only listens to my heart, I know he KNOWS my heart and is waiting for me to look up and ask for direction. As a parent (or grandparent) sometimes I know it's best to wait for kids to ask for help. God never forces himself on me. Yet when I wait and listen, direction comes (yes, some times more quickly than others).

Enough ramble. I want to remember to be thankful for the process, the hard times, the dirt, even the rain as well as the sunshine. Life is never one thing or another - it is many experiences blended together.

Hope you enjoy your dirt today, even the rain. The rain is a time of rest, remember.

Blessings for beautiful roses!

No comments: