Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Right Gift

So many things lately remind me that we're all a bunch of weaklings, trying to do the right thing.

I showed up for work an hour late yesterday -- got the days mixed up! YUCK!

Someone else is trying to improve his leadership style 'cause the family survival depends on it.

Another special person realizes how far short he falls from the abilities he thinks he needs.

We're all weak, insufficient, fumbling, NOT ENOUGH!

Maybe we're made with limitations that our Creator hopes will awaken us to our lack of invincibility. Maybe this awareness can awaken us to new relationships that will enhance our love and compassion. Maybe this love and compassion is really at the base of what every career, every obligation is about.

What do I need this season? I think I really need a greater sense of contentment. I'm not meant to save the world. I AM meant to do my best at the job where I serve today. Yesterday I needed patience -- and compassion -- for hyped, hormonally-driven seventh graders asking "how old were you when you learned about Santa Claus?" Today I need to accept that I can't make and bake all I want in the next two weeks. Tomorrow I need to just enjoy the joys of the children around me.

Sure, I'm a weakling, but not a failure. I can listen, but not fix. This Christmas I want to revel in what I have, what I can glean without accumulating. Pleasure. Smiles. Peace. Hope.

And I do believe that it exists because of the One Perfect Gift of Christmas.

No comments: