Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Transfer

About my "manna" book --

I'm reading right now about the transfer of faith from one generation to another, and how watching our parents see God's provision gives faith to our children for the every day needs. Guess that convinces me it's ok for them, even as adults, to see my struggles.

Only one time did we ever wonder where if we'd have food. During the early days of marriage I often served a meal of one chicken thigh; or made peanut butter cookies to stretch the peanut butter; even baked to save cost of bread -- but found we actually ate more bread that way....... (smile). One time we had $17 and only a few cans in the cupboard till next payday. We bought milk, bread, soup and cheese -- and had soup and cheese when the next payday arrived.

Lora had bad bronchitis as a six-month-old, and I literally prayed away the hours as I listened to my baby wheeze. The doctor wouldn't see her till she had a 104 temp, but I knew things weren't right. I pled with God to take care of her -- because I couldn't! I learned a much deeper dependence in those scary moments.

A year later we were heading home for Christmas when we had car trouble outside of Atlanta. Even in 1987, you didn't wanted to be alone on the interstate. Larry left me with a toddler, 5 and 6 yr olds and started to walk for help, and I prayed with ferocity, "God, we need you NOW!" God heard! Larry hadn't walked 20 yds before someone stopped to help.

In my book, the author says we can run from the trials or draw close to the Shepherd. Running is what I want, but there is nowhere to go. I want to run into Him, be enclosed and shielded in Him. That may not make sense till you are there, but only God completely understands me. He knows each of us, and wants US to realize "I HAVE YOUR BACK!"

I heard a preacher last Sunday morning, quoting someone else saying, "... it's Friday, but Sunday's coming!" referring to the grief after Christ's death, but knowing we can still COUNT ON God's Promise.

His "manna" is an everyday thing. I need it today. I need it right now. From waking with a sinus-headache-turned-migraine to needing energy to empty rooms for the contractor. I thank God I can show my girls, "GOD DOES IT!"

Believe it!

1 comment:

joy said...

Hang in there!