Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm the LUCKY ONE

I'm at my youngest daughter, Lora's house right now. She invited me! For a week! The other daughters have also invited me and I've had great times with them, but visits with them are shared. Shared with hubbys, grandkids, their dad, and simply, their jobs. Life is B-U-S-Y and harried. So unshared time with an adult child is a rare delicacy not to be taken lightly.

Lora's husband Andrew and his dad are having special time right now, so rather than leave Lora alone, they suggested inviting me so we could have time. What an idea! What a privilege! What an opportunity!

Yesterday we explored Portland (benefit of Tom-Tom) and visited Powell's Book Store, dubbed the largest bookstore in the world. Take your cell phone (for re-connecting) a friend or two, and plan to enjoy all morning or afternoon perusing the category, subject, or even author of choice! Yesterday I was in the Red Room, where I moved among a good dozen or more wall-high rows. Lora moved to the "room" of her choice, and then we reconnected in the Purple Room to look at children's books before we left. We would have stayed hours except that we had an evening appointment already scheduled.

We'd had lunch together, then supper leftovers at home. Tonight we'll try another of the cuisine varieties of the neighborhood. The prize isn't not having clean-up; it's the blessing of uninterrupted focused attentive conversation. Two people who care about each other having the gift of time to give one another.

I don't want to take this for granted. Lora will soon have the 9-5 commitments that make these days rare. Thereafter little "Loras" and little "Andrews" will interrupt dinner conversation. We'll plan visits, and the nights out will be us staying with kids so they can maintain sanity. I would never trade any of it.

I love the visits with any of my kids. Watching grandkids interact, watching my kids do the parenting, playing with grandkids and having them laugh at me or pull on my pants. Getting a five-minute call from Joy as she runs from her work-out time to kiddie pick-up, or a 10:15 call from Jenny when Jon works late and she's bored. I'm the Lucky One!

I'm "lucky" to have kids who want to talk to me, kids who will walk down the street with me, kids who will share needs and blessings, and ask me to pray for them.

I'm also lucky that their dad still comes home to me -- just me. That he makes me breakfast every morning unless I say I don't want it. That he will give up things HE wants to do on the house, to preserve my sanity.

It is more than luck, much more. It's blessing. It comes from the One who made us all, who gave us all free choice, speaking to these dear ones, leading their thoughts and choices. Yes, it started with faithful love and dedication twenty-plus years ago, but the choice to continue is fed by faith from the One.

Undoubtedly they've all had times I've disappointed them. I screw up even when I mean well! I can remember seeing some "let-down" looks when I've said or done the wrong thing. They've forgiven me. God forgives me!

All in all, I still think I'm pretty lucky, blessed, fortunate......

And I say thank you to all of them. Best winning of a lifetime!

No comments: