Monday, November 30, 2009

Enough for All Times

Some special friends are going through really tough times. No amount of time, money, or condolences will solve their dilemas. Friendship is important at these times, to hold one another up when we feel like more than wilting -- sometimes we wish for an emotional coma -- but friendship is all I can offer.

What I CAN do for my friends is to call upon The Giver. His help is not always considered helpful because it is mysterious, not immediately apparent tho immediately caring. He has ways of affecting time, people, moods, even perspectives. He can shed light or remain hidden. He can stop the world, and has even moved time backwards. He can open windows into other worlds, and sometimes show us we are happiest where we are.

His mystery is what makes Him bigger than me. Isn't mystery what brings droves to theater premieres? Isn't mystery what draws the lost and lonely into one last haunting quest? Mystery suggests a Force or Power greater than myself that won't be duped, depressed, or daunted as I am. That it will be my personal intro into a strength I need when life gets to be too much. We all long for that Something that is bigger, that will be enough.

We need this Force that will be "enough" for not just today's worst nightmare, but also available for the next unbelievable uncertainty.

My Giver is always available, personal, trustworthy, and comforting. He often says "wait", but that doesn't mean he's busy elsewhere, I've learned he knows holding on is sometimes best for me.

I've learned My Giver is real from a lifetime of personal connection. You don't want to hear all the personal stories, but in each one, he brought me through.

He is mysterious, but he is no secret.

He is The Giver, but also The Gift.

The Gift of Christmas.

Jesus the Christ.

No comments: