Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Just Enough

I need something, and I need it now! I need to be able to focus on the mundane tasks of sorting, cleaning, moving, tossing, trucking -- finishing the job of setting up the house. Larry finished the steps -- they are beautiful! We've resolved to bring my sewing materials downstairs so we both can have uncluttered offices upstairs. But COMPANY IS COMING in 8 days, and they need someplace to lay their heads! I need patience, tenacity, and peace to keep at the job. There is a lot to do, and I am all alone, with too much quiet, too little mental stimulation, and yet the need to think, stay focused -- on the mundane.


Mundane is a very difficult word in my vocabulary. It's beyond my comfort zone. It's almost profane. I was made to zip from thought to thought, job to job, person to person. I think up ideas for relating to one person and another. My downfall can easily be creating more projects than I can feasibly accomplish, but half my joy is in planning. Trudging is not my idea of a joyful life.


Yet trudging through interruptions is a big part of life. That's the relationship with children, especially for a mom. Mom wants to run to the store, but kids don't want to stop play. Mom starts laundry, but kids need her to stop the overflowing toilet. She is fixing dinner or talking on the phone, but that is when fights start, things get broken, or a stranger comes to the door. Life is about trudging through interruptions.

I do better with interruptions than I do getting back to my mundane. Fact remains, mundane must be conquered. I have needed help.

So I've called on a friend who knows just what I need, just as I need it and ask for it! I've asked for manna, from someone who understands me better than I understand myself. Like walking a tightrope over a chasm, I feel precipitously anxious about getting through this, but God is carrying me. More than helping, I feel like he is making it happen.

Yesterday another friend dropped by for assistance with her sewing machine, and a brief chat, after which I made one trip to Goodwill, returned something to a store, and sorted for today's drop-offs. She took another of my donation loads, and this morning I will deliver the other. I need to make a couple more store stops, then come back and begin today's strategy.

It's happening. God is leading me across my tightrope. He waited for me to be desperate enough to trust him. Two days now he's come through , and I really don't feel he's going to chuck me into the chasm. Still would rather not be over the chasm but I've got to get to the other side.

Heard a good line in a song Sunday that stuck. Sorry I don't know who to credit, but the lyrics reminded we must "see the cloud to find the silver lining".

My God is giving me just enough this week. Enough to get me through. Enough to see one more time that he has the resources (of course) but also empathy, and sympathy, for me, to give me what I really need, when I ask, trust, and let him.

Another day. Another prayer. Trust and trudge!

Victory!

No comments: