Monday, January 11, 2010

How Big!

Lora and Andrew stopped by last night for supper prior to leaving for Portland this morning. We ate subs in front of the TV. Viewing was science, a natural fascination for them, but subject matter on which I focus, am wowed! for about two minutes, and am back to my book.

But the program was a PBS episode on what is happening beyond the heavens that we can see. They detailed system after system that is outside and beyond the Milky Way galaxy. The narrators also described a little of what they think is happening in these systems, how they are each a part of bigger systems, and how long it takes to see from one end to the other of these systems.....

All that detail hardly makes it to my head. It definitely passes out as quickly as it goes in.

What stuck with me is how big -- how endless! -- this "creation" is! I don't know if they would even call it a creation -- that isn't my point.

Whether we'll be in line to be imploded, exploded, vaporized, or baked is more than I can mentally deal with. I can't live with the fear those possibilities might create. I'm better off not hearing about them. Like it or not, THAT's THE WAY GOD MADE ME!

But the fact that each flower is unique shows it was individually created. Each snow crystal is unlike any other. A Designer made each of them. He knows each unique human life, born and unborn, and knows each hair on each head. To have likewise created each of these star systems -- of which we are minute particles in only one, and of course, the snowflakes so miniscule compared to one of us -- and to plan such detail with the smallest indescribable parts, speaks of some kind of interest, care, empathy. To have created us with emotion, logic, and a part that is above and beyond emotion or logic -- the soul -- speaks of DEEP care, deep love, and explains that such a sacrifice as the birth and death of a God-man might have occurred. But WHY is beyond our abilities to feel or reason! It is INFINITELY beyond!

Getting away from our ability to understand and reason! My point, exactly!

Worrying about my future is something not meant for me. If my Designer could orchestrate just the right survival temperatures to sustain life on our earth for just the right amounts of time, and my body to function with all the balances required in this environment, for just the time I need to get to know HIM, the Designer -- I know I'm safe. Safe in the Designer's plan, safe in the relationship I feel with Him, safe in the infinity of my ignorance.

A confirmation of how smart I don't have to be!

No comments: