Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Kids WILL Surprise You

http://jeremy-amuse.blogspot.com/

Last Sunday in KidZone was very challenging! A 35-yr teaching veteran had the lead and I was present to be the "go-for" or extra hand for anything else needed. Turned out there were several things needed.

Our kids worked on their Christmas musical from September to December. Sunday morning KidZone became a time of jumping and giggling rather than sitting and listening. After the performance we had a couple Sundays of regular KidZone, but we thought little of the antsy disruptions because it was Christmastime. Now it's January -- things should have been back to normal.

But they weren't. Our kids pulled on each other, laid on the floor, leaned, whispered, challenged the teacher(s). The idea that "NO" means no seemed completely forgotten. We had to persist but find new tactics. Frustrating! but we got through.

Then yesterday I found the above blog, totally identified with the frustrations of a dad who is thinking "why can't these people just let my kid have a room to play in -- so I can listen?" And I remembered why we take little people to adult church.

I remember taking our kids into services when we'd usually have to take one out for a talk. I remember flushing as one of them yelled "don't 'pank me! don't 'pank me!" as I passed the 10 seats between us and the door. I remember getting very little out of those services. I was serving rather being served.

But I also got little out of the meals I fixed during those years. They were either cold or everyone was done when I got to my food. Through one period I was often nursing one baby and spoon feeding the other at meal time. Bad choice, I know now, but my best solution then. But I was serving, not being served.

The little ones are learning. The bigger kids are learning. They are learning from our behavior and attitudes. They are learning from what is being said.

And, as the blog parent points out, we will learn from them.

No comments: