Friday, July 24, 2009

More Than I Asked For!

Larry and I bought property three years ago where we thought we'd like to build a retirement home. Yep, three years ago that sounded good. After a year-and-a-half of living in a construction zone, my mindset has shifted. Neither of us think the same now as we did then. But to sell........ Not a possibility. No one wants it, and it's worth half what we paid (are paying!), just like the dilema half of America now faces.

Larry's greatest desire is to do his best at everything, especially his stewardship. He's second-guessed this transaction repeatedly, wondering if we made a mistake. Lots of properties had doubled in one year prior to the time of our purchase, but had we listened to the wrong voice?

I've tried to reassure him that I really felt God affirming this to me at the time we bought it. That WAS 3 years ago, and clouds have darkened dramatically since then. Yes, I've even had my own doubts.

Yesterday I left Nampa and the Stocketts to get back to my "real life". Before I left town, I decided to check on our property and see who now owned the recently-sold house adjacent to our lot. Just getting our name before the new owners and our willingness to consider "creative" ideas might provide openings to a future re-sale, I thought. I knocked and was welcomed by associates in a new social services coordination agency. What a relief to learn the new residents would be good, reliable, trustworthy neighbors! Living far away makes for lots of ignorance (about responsibility and condition of the property), which leads to trust -- sometimes justified, sometimes not. We were very fortunate with the previous owners, and I was very grateful to see the new ones would be just as safe.

But right before I left, the office manager took me to meet the business owner. I can't describe my amazement when the door opened to reveal a gentleman Larry and I have recently met through our Wenatchee church. This gentleman is helping our church assess its strengths and weaknesses, and prepare for calling our next pastor. He is a man whose integrity has been proven by his life choices, the affirmation of many associates, and his own wise counsel. He is accountable to many people, and prioritizes God and family over the accumulation of things. In addition, I learned that his company works with our son-in-law's company, and one associate in the office already knew Jeremy's name.

I talked with Paul for about 30 minutes. Both of us were flabbergasted at the "coincidence". We discussed some business details, but of greatest note to me was the fact that God knew who would buy here. He knew before we ever made the purchase. He knew what would happen to the market. He knew how we would struggle. We are very curious what more He will do! but the assurance of His involvement leaves me speechless!

I drove for 3 hours, unable to tell anyone! Joy was busy with the kids. Larry was in a meeting. No one else would get the impact I was feeling. I didn't know whether to bawl or scream (with excitement). MY GOD HAS BEEN WORKING! (yeah, duh!)

I CHOOSE to look up. I MAKE myself look for God's promises and hope. Everyday I make a DECISION to live above the drudgery of uncertainty. But I still struggle with doubt and fear. Satan throws "what if's" at me, and even if I duck, I see them whirring by. Then I remember the struggle isn't bad, but the giving in to despair is!

THANK YOU GOD for the assurances you send my way! You don't owe me anything! You don't have to prove yourself to me, or keep calling to tell me you're still watching. You don't have to bless me with loving family, or A/C (in 105 temps!!!), or a husband who would do anything for me. Many of your children don't have any of those, and they know you care for them. Why? I can only conclude you do it so I can "pay it forward", pass it on, do for others!

..... but it's still more than I could have asked for!

1 comment:

Donavon said...

So UnBefuddled is your neighbor, huh? How cool! Randy Craker is fond of saying that faith has a rear view mirror. I guess it's another way of saying that when we look back and see how God has been at work in our lives some of our past confusions become much clearer to understand. Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind sharing this story in our combined service on Aug 2nd?